favourite track

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha just read it, not heard that one before but then I hadn't read the wiki thing till you mentioned it, most interesting.

I say again the man was a Genius :)

That story or a version of it was on a TV program that I watched a few years ago. It might also have been Uncle Alans party trick aswell.

Wow I am on a roll lads, didn't realise what you could find on you tube (its the future man)

One of my other (afformentioned) fav bands the not very well known in "normal" circles GONG.

I remember taking the Album "Angels Egg" to a rock night in about 83 and demanding THIS track be played. I then went on to what we could loosely describe as "Dance" to it on my own, no one seemed to be amused or seemed to have enjoyed it but hey ho. Of course even in my "Rock / Biker" circles in those days it was mainly Sabbath, ACDC, zep and all the other middle of the road rock bands there wasn't many of us "off the wall" sorts left by then.

This is one very cool front man and a very cool "song"

Wow I am on a roll lads, didn't realise what you could find on you tube (its the future man)

One of my other (afformentioned) fav bands the not very well known in "normal" circles GONG.

I remember taking the Album "Angels Egg" to a rock night in about 83 and demanding THIS track be played. I then went on to what we could loosely describe as "Dance" to it on my own, no one seemed to be amused or seemed to have enjoyed it but hey ho. Of course even in my "Rock / Biker" circles in those days it was mainly Sabbath, ACDC, zep and all the other middle of the road rock bands there wasn't many of us "off the wall" sorts left by then.

This is one very cool front man and a very cool "song"
Now you are starting make me feel very old.

Gong were very popular at some of the parties I attended in the mid 70s

Bill Bruford and Steve Hillage were members at some time I think.

Talking of Gong just reminded me of another odd band about at that time, Patto.

I have one of their albums "Roll em smoke em put another line out"

It has a track with the lyrics "at the back of every car is a boot, inside every owl is a hoot"  Brilliant    :crazy:

They were indeed,

I think they were one of those bands like CB magic band that got through a lot of members as did Fairport convention who incidentally I saw live also and they were fantastic in fact I would go as far as to say that Fairport were probably one of the best I ever saw live for pure enjoyment. Tangerine dream were the weirdest, hawkwind were the loudest, AC/DC were the latest (Donnington 84) came on about 11pm to "for those about to rock" and the cannons (was anyone there ?)

Edit - just remembered "alien sex fiend" were the weirdest.

Saw def leperd when they were semi pro they were very young then. Oh the list goes on and the memorys remain .

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking of Gong just reminded me of another odd band about at that time, Patto.

I have one of their albums "Roll em smoke em put another line out"

It has a track with the lyrics "at the back of every car is a boot, inside every owl is a hoot"  Brilliant    :crazy:
Wow, Gene I am impressed my friend.

"Gong" ? Now that's on the Proggie side of weird, or is it the weird side of Proggie?

You know Ips, I love how you made the rules, enforced them occasionally and then blew them to smithereens and went off topic all in one sly swoop!

Any chance of a photo of you in your "long haired, bearded days"? (Or is that you in the video but you didn't want to boast?)  :biggrin:

I am off home to dig through my vinyl see if there is anything else I have forgotten about.

Did I mention Grand Funk railroad, they were very cool and another band with many different line ups.

I am loving this but like Gene, ruddy ell it seems like a chuffing long long time ago.

Wonder if mrs ips will let me grow long hair again, more to the point I wonder if it would grow, wonder if my afghan coat still fits, wonder if it still smells, wonder if my embroidered kurta's still fit, wonder if ............... you get the idea :)

"Gong" ? Now that's on the Proggie side of weird, or is it the weird side of Proggie?

You know Ips, I love how you made the rules, enforced them occasionally and then blew them to smithereens and went off topic all in one sly swoop!

Any chance of a photo of you in your "long haired, bearded days"? (Or is that you in the video but you didn't want to boast?)  :biggrin:
Ha, love it but hey they were my rules so its my perogative to break em up big man, wow I have gone all prog even saying "man" :)

A photo, umm an interesting idea I may be persuaded but if mrs ips and mini ips found out I had gone public with "that" look they would without doubt disown me. I would be homeless and would have to come a knocking on someones door, ooh be like the old days.

Just thinking about it there are probably about 6 shooters I can think of who would remember "that" look as I started shooting in 86 I think I was not only one of the youngest shooters in those days but definitely the weirdest. Were talking pony tail or plait and tuck it under cap :)

But no there isn't anyone on here I don't think.

I am off home to dig through my vinyl see if there is anything else I have forgotten about.

Did I mention Grand Funk railroad, they were very cool and another band with many different line ups.
Grand Funk Railroad - Fantastic!

I bet your vinyl collection will include the following. I'd be surprised if it didn't. :biggrin:

And...............

Ah yes i know there work but have to admit that no i haven't got any.

I know i have let the side down.

On a serious note i am somewhat suprised that so many of us have similar taste, maybe not beef heart but similar nonetheless.

Never seen mention of that disco mallarkey or soul nonsense :)

They were indeed,

I think they were one of those bands like CB magic band that got through a lot of members as did Fairport convention who incidentally I saw live also and they were fantastic in fact I would go as far as to say that Fairport were probably one of the best I ever saw live for pure enjoyment. Tangerine dream were the weirdest, hawkwind were the loudest, AC/DC were the latest (Donnington 84) came on about 11pm to "for those about to rock" and the cannons (was anyone there ?)

Edit - just remembered "alien sex fiend" were the weirdest.

Saw def leperd when they were semi pro they were very young then. Oh the list goes on and the memorys remain .
Didn't see AC DC but did go and see Ozzy headline at Donnington in 86 i think.

However  I did go to see Deep Purple at Knebworth in 1985 and that was the loudest concert ever for the time, offical record and all apparently. Stood in the rain all day but was so worth it.

You must have some coloured vinyl in there?

I think I have a couple but I know  have the Motorhead greatist hits album which has a Leather sleeve.

Andy

cool , didn't go to 86 but did see ozzy around that time at Manchester Apollo.

A funny story about donnington. Was middle of coal miners strike at the time we stopped somewhere near stoke on the way home for some "sleep" girlfriend of the time a very beautiful but somewhat weird young lady as i recall anyway were under a blanket under a tree at one of those laybys that has about 20 yards of grass between it and the road was about 4 in the morning and we were quite busy sleeping if you get my drift when this ruddy great coach pulls up full of flying pickets, it turned out we were 50 yds from the entrance to a coal mine.

They seemed to fine it most amusing :)

Andy

yes i have a hendrix pic disc think that's the only one. Also have living in the past by jethro tul on chrysalis the one with the book in the sleeve have a relatively small vinyl collection by comparison to some folk but its all relevant and specifically picked so some interesting ones.

In the court of crimson king that sort of stuff.

Ps

motor head

Saw them Preston guild hall early 80s

motorhead

You must have some coloured vinyl in there?

I think I have a couple but I know have the Motorhead greatist hits album which has a Leather sleeve.
Coloured vinyl... You don't get that with mp3s

I have Deepest Purple on purple vinyl .. Of course
Jethro Tull Aqualung on white vinyl
Cheap Trick live at the Budokan on kamikaze yellow vinyl with a weird pattern in it.
Plus a whole load of picture disks, mainly T-Rex

Just had a quick root a couple of interesting ones to start

climax blues band

atomic rooster

budgie

East of Eden

Latest posts

Back