glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If glasses help with target acquisition then how's not wearing them cheating? A lot of shooters don't like wearing them including some of the very best without naming names. Look around at a typical non reg comp and you'll see. I even remember a name sponsored shooter without glasses in a rain soaked British Open a few years ago.

thank's for the explanation Wylye.You have to enforce the safety issue to satisfy your insurance. So it's not a rule that you made but a rule that the insurance company made, same as our membership insurance, they made the glasses rule. No glasses means NO insurance cover, registered or not

Hmmm, think I'm going to have to invest in a pair. I once bought some at a country fair for £5 to take part in one of the comps, I shot the worst I have ever done. I got home, put them on and focused at a spot on the wall, as I moved them up to my forehead the spot I was looking at appeared to move. I kept alternating between looking through them and not, and the spot kept moving up and down. Can anyone recommend a pair that don't have some kind of weird refraction effect? :)

That was my excuse anyway...

To be fair you can't expect much from a £5 pair! You need to try a few on at a decent gun shop and just make sure they don't interfere with your sight line. You can get good ones starting from around £30 all the way to maybe £350 or more where they reckon the lenses are made using ancient Chinese techniques that take 3 or 4 days to accomplish the right curvature and clarity :wink: ;) . I have one of those myself :.: :.: , shame they don't do money back guarantee.

I bought some Zekler glasses off here http://www.toolorders.co.uk/lev4_13_16_0_Zekler_Eyewear.asp they are very good quality for not a lot of money.

Hello from Porto. Hello Big Jim.........not sure why you are interested in my response but for what it is worth......

I hate glasses and only wear them in a registered shoot. I don't choose to wear them at practice unless the ground stipulates, in which case I obviously abide by their rules.

Abroad you do not have to wear glasses in major competition and as it is raining today :-( I will not be wearing them!

If the rules from international competition ever change then I will too.

It does not necessarily give any advantage or disadvantage in trap unless you are at a ground where the sun is in the wrong place, in which case glasses are handy.

This is only my opinion and everyone else is free to do what they want and take the consequences.

Life is too short to moan about glasses .........a good friend of mine died yesterday and that puts real issues into perspective.

Glasses refract but fortunately you see the gun and the clay through them together so light may bend but the result is the same. I asked Ian Peel why he wore contact lenses as well as glasses - he said the focal point of contact lenses doesn't move. All head tilters take note.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had cateract surgery a couple of ears ago,I have to shoot head up because of the implants, otherwise I see two clays.

It is just plain stupid not to wear shooting glasses. It has hapenned to me several times watching skeet shooters on 4 and 8 while I was some 15 or so feet behind 4. I got hit on the cheek just below the glasses as a spectator! More than once! Better to be safe than loose an eye! Lets not comment on poor sporting course design where we get pellet hail from a station!

I even wear my shooting glasses while doing back up on our driven pheasant shoots. I have been hit nearly everytime by wayward pellets. I sometimes cover the dogs eyes when I hear them dropping on nearby bushes.

Henry ;)

It is surprising to see ISSF skeet shooters without glasses. No enforcment will be in place at the London Test Event nor Olympics.

40UP,

With these professional shooters, are we the organisers not contravening the H&S at Work act? :)

It will be part of the organising contract as glasses have never been compulsory abroad. ISSF rules presumably.

I know there are a lot of people that don't like wearing glasses whilst shooting but the rules are there for a reason.

I hate wearing them in the rain but will add a baseball cap which I hate shooting in even more to stop the water coming behind the lenses.

I'm primarily a skeet shooter and have scars on my face, arms and gun from being peppered with stray bits of clay from S1, S7 and 8 when shooting NSSA, I have also been hit by fragments at sporting shoots.

So far as i'm aware they don't offer eye transplants yet and shooting without glasses is plain stupid, I also shoot an auto and have still managed to get blowback in my eye despite wearing glasses.

Jon.

I may have this wrong, but I think Big Jim's point was.....if you receive a letter for the small mister-meaner of forgetting to hand your completed card in !! you will be written to ....but if you flaunt a more serious rule regarding your safety whilst shooting at a reg run SHOOT ie omitting the wearing of eye protection, :eek: :eek: and your are seen by other shooters, markers and in some case official CPSA refs, should the said shooter be reported and the matter dealt with ?? and if this is the case why does there seem to a lack of rules to cover this situation.

perhaps his comment regarding Nicola was raised hoping that she may have some idea of what the set rules at H/Q are.

One sure fact here is when some one loses their sight when not complying to ground and CPSA directives we could all find ourselves paying more and finding how stringent the health and safety could become with our sport.

why can't the CPSA simply post it monthly on the front cover, saying what are the penalties if seen shooting with out eye protection. then every member will know and there can be NO doubt of the out come should any shooter persist with this mindless action....

Glasses for registered cpsa competitions.

No glasses needed for international comps, practice or anything else that takes your fancy.

Simples!

Nothing stupid at all. Depends on disciplines shot, freedom of choice, rules of the grounds, rules of the federations etc etc

Glasses for registered cpsa competitions.

No glasses needed for international comps, practice or anything else that takes your fancy.

Simples!

Nothing stupid at all. Depends on disciplines shot, freedom of choice, rules of the grounds, rules of the federations etc etc
not directed at you in any form or way Nicola ....but !!!!!

one could easily arrive at the conclusion that no-one will commit to a answer on this subject, why, :angry: bemuses me ? so here it is in simple working class language

1 ...if a shooter shoots with out glasses at a reg shoot can they still receive any of the prizes ?

2....if the CPSA are aware of a shooter not wearing glasses whilst taking part in a reg shoot what rules are in place to pursue the matter.

3....would any shooter not wearing glasses at a reg event be covered by any relevant insurance ? (answers in plain English please )

Latest posts

Back