Gun Fit - How important is it really ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Five pages, and I'm screaming, " Go and get a lesson with a good coach".

Harley anyone who has been with you and watched you mounting the gun on your bicep needs, (A) a good talking to , and ( B) a good slapping.

Cross your arms over your chest and put your fingers on the opposite shoulder, then with your thumbs you can feel the depression between your shoulder and your neck.

That is your shoulder pocket and that is where your gun should be mounted.
yep i got this part spot on with your advice, thanks :wink:

Harley, your Pectors could be a big issue for you because that is exactly where you want to be mounting the gun, but sadly for guys of your build it can be problematic, soldier on mate but keep off the bicep.
oh Crap, really didnt want to here this, as this could be a show stopper for me, i will give it a good go, but now i have this issue luming over me im going to put off buying a gun until either ive been told i can shoot with this build or find away to shoot, mind you Mr Digweed aint small and does ok :eek: , but then again with all due respect he may not of been down the gym in a previous life

oh Crap, really didnt want to here this, as this could be a show stopper for me, i will give it a good go, but now i have this issue luming over me im going to put off buying a gun until either ive been told i can shoot with this build or find away to shoot, mind you Mr Digweed aint small and does ok :eek: , but then again with all due respect he may not of been down the gym in a previous life
Dude, seriously...do not worry about it.

You will need a shorter stock. I expect you don't have a long neck either.

You may also want a pitch adjustment too, (another conversation)...but all of this can be done...probably by you.

Obviously take advice, get the gun roughed in then after you feel confident with your mount...fine tune it.

Do you have any idea what sort of gun you want or what you want to spend?

Rule of thumb...when you mount the gun, the thumb of your trigger hand, should be about 2 inches from the end of your nose.

You will likely want somewhere around 14 inch length of pull.

Look at that link to positive shooting I put in the other post...go read it.

My mate is a short body builder who can leg press 750kg...yes...I fitted him just fine! Not over the net though...obviously!

Dude, seriously...do not worry about it.

You will need a shorter stock. I expect you don't have a long neck either.

You may also want a pitch adjustment too, (another conversation)...but all of this can be done...probably by you.

Obviously take advice, get the gun roughed in then after you feel confident with your mount...fine tune it.

Do you have any idea what sort of gun you want or what you want to spend?

Rule of thumb...when you mount the gun, the thumb of your trigger hand, should be about 2 inches from the end of your nose.

You will likely want somewhere around 14 inch length of pull.

Look at that link to positive shooting I put in the other post...go read it.

My mate is a short body builder who can leg press 750kg...yes...I fitted him just fine! Not over the net though...obviously!
thats right no neck.. :)

Possibly a silver Pigeon new or second hand as my first gun as i held a new one and it felt great

that two inch rule was in my mind when i picked up the silver pigeon but i noticed my thumb knuckle was around 4" away from my nose :mellow:

dont get me wrong im not that muscular now, just large , so i live in hope...

thats right no neck.. :)

Possibly a silver Pigeon new or second hand as my first gun as i held a new one and it felt great

that two inch rule was in my mind when i picked up the silver pigeon but i noticed my thumb knuckle was around 4" away from my nose :mellow:

dont get me wrong im not that muscular now, just large , so i live in hope...
If you like the feel of them, then you can't go too far wrong. That is what I have. Beware that a secondhand one, will likely not be the same gun as the SP1, that is a new gun.

Make sure you get a sporter model, not a game gun.

Do look at the new Browning 725 similar money. Again, the sporter not the hunter

Don't go longer than 30 inch barrels.

If you are in a decent shop, get them to take off the butt pad on the Beretta, this will take off about 18mm and then be closer to the length you would need.

As you can see by the pic I posted, I cut mine down with a bandsaw (when it was less than a month old!)..but I was fitting a recoil reducer.

Having no neck might add other issues, if it means you mount the gun low in the shoulder, so you can get your cheek on it...but all of this is fixable!

Either of those guns would never need to be replaced or upgraded...rather than if you spent less on something...not so good...then it seems less worth the effort and cost to fit the gun, because you might change it...but will then affect your shooting.

Don't throw money away, but don't penny pinch either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to bring up this "Gun shoots were you looking thing" At what point in shooting a 35m crosser are you looking straight along rib through the pip?

That's rifle shooting!

If you pattern plate your gun you can look there and confirm the POI is what you want, but actually shooting targets you peripherally point the rib and look at the target which will be behind we're the gun is pointing.

I would say that it is important to know where the gun shoots, I.e where you look, then make adjustments for lead from there. On a long crosser the staring is at the target, but you definitely look at the whole picture, to get the lead correct.

CSC3

Ever so sorry guys but gun fit is more important than u chose to believe, and balance more important still .

BEN

I shoot a K80 changed stock forend etc and lengthend the stock as long arms & over 6.3ft can sometimes shoot big scores 90+ but then on shoots where lots close birds shoot crap ? Low 80's im told its due to the gun ? The gun feels right and great to shoot but tearing my hair out on these closer birds ? Do i need it set up proper am i seeing the wrong picture for these birds totally lost :-( would it pay for me to get my K80 set up by say Ben who knows about these guns ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you need to learn how to controle you gun on close birds, if you can shoot 90+it,s not the gun

Sounds like you need to learn how to controle you gun on close birds, if you can shoot 90+it,s not the gun
Spot on! I tend to miss more silly little dinner plates than anything else :( Purely down to bad hold points (usually too close to the trap) which leads me to be slashing wildly through it. Cant remember what the advert is for but the hook line is "power is nothing without control" ;)

Ever so sorry guys but gun fit is more important than u chose to believe, and balance more important still .

BEN

I shoot a K80 changed stock forend etc and lengthend the stock as long arms & over 6.3ft can sometimes shoot big scores 90+ but then on shoots where lots close birds shoot crap ? Low 80's im told its due to the gun ? The gun feels right and great to shoot but tearing my hair out on these closer birds ? Do i need it set up proper am i seeing the wrong picture for these birds totally lost :-( would it pay for me to get my K80 set up by say Ben who knows about these guns ?
Spot on! I tend to miss more silly little dinner plates than anything else :( Purely down to bad hold points (usually too close to the trap) which leads me to be slashing wildly through it. Cant remember what the advert is for but the hook line is "power is nothing without control" ;)

Not always the case, I am 6'4" really long arms however I am well built as they say(deep chested) so standard stock on beretta comes up fine, several folk said to lenthen the stock,so I taped on the other pad that came with it,felt like I was holding an oar, hopeless and left hand way to forward for control. If close in birds are a problem,move your left hand back a bit to gain more control for them.

Don't always change chokes either for close birds, 3/4 choke will mean less lead if it's shifting fast.

chiefy

You don't change any thing,watch any good shot they never changes hold,trust me get and practice a few it will come together.Choke at close rang you'r talking inches.forget about what people say,just learn close targets, just like long targets but easer?

Carl Bloxham sorted me out on close stuff when I was using a Fixed choke DT10 Full/Extra Full. My swing was taking me past targets, especially close Rabbits. He would march me up to about 5m away and I would virtually stop the gun on them and if they were coming towards me it would look like I was shooting behind them but they would just disappear! Of course fast targets like in OSK do need lead though.

Latest posts

Back