Gun Fit - How important is it really ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks for your replies.

I think for me, my priority is two fold, gun fit and tuition i have a month or so before i get my gun, so if my foundation is correct its all down to me and getting out there.

if anyone could point me to someone who will get me fitted without me taking out a mortgage i would be very greatfull. ;-)

Harley, as said before. Forget `fitting` for now. Firstly this is a series of adjustments made to your gun, which you dont have. Secondly, for at least six months, you will not be standing definitively / holding the gun definitively, so unwise to fit early days. At the beginner stage `gun fitting` is just about making sure that the gun is broadly right (i.e not an inch too short /long, or with comb too low etc).

You just might want to visit EJ Churchills mini- fair on Saturday. It is a major ground. They have £10 have-a-go stands with instructors and you can observe quite a lot there..

CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
CSC3

Thanks, regarding the fit i was told you get a set of measurements relating to your fit.

as you said im a few weeks away and no gun, so no worrys as yet, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

That is fitting, yes. Many will happily fit you (for money), but trust me, your fit will change as you progress; including personal preferences as they develop, so it cant be done early days..

I (and other experienced shooters) can spot a newbie a mile off, just by watching them hold the gun. You can tell a good shooter before he pulls the trigger. It is experience and also muscle development.

Basically newbies fight against the weight of the gun, whereas experienced folk become one with it.

CSC3

That is fitting, yes. Many will happily fit you (for money), but trust me, your fit will change as you progress; including personal preferences as they develop, so it cant be done early days..

I (and other experienced shooters) can spot a newbie a mile off, just by watching them hold the gun. You can tell a good shooter before he pulls the trigger. It is experience and also muscle development.

Basically newbies fight against the weight of the gun, whereas experienced folk become one with it.

CSC3
I totally agree, i will wait thanks for the info and a potential saving :wink:

yes the hold, its all over the place, he he he, but thats the fun of learning again... :oops:

Clever, what advice would you give on gun fit if with the first gun that is bought the shooter is looking at the bottom of the top lever?

Clever, what advice would you give on gun fit if with the first gun that is bought the shooter is looking at the bottom of the top lever?
Bryan,

If all the shooter can see is the bottom of thr top lever i.e. no rib at all, then the gun is too long in the stock. I no this because I had the same thing. Take the butt pad off and then try again to see the difference.

Andy,

ps I know I'm not CleverSC3 but......

I had a whole story typed out here and it vanished, anyway it went like, you need to know what kind of stock the gun has in the first place, has the gun got a parallel comb like a trap gun or a sloping comb like a sporter, taking the butt pad off a parallel comb will move the shooters face nearer his thumb and not raise his sight picture, now if it were a sloping comb and you take the pad off you will move the shooters face up the slope nearer his thumb and thus raising his sight picture, so the problem lies with a low comb, and where he plants his face. No one said the gun feels too long for him. Just my two pence worth.

chiefy

As above. Altering length CAN alter sight picture but only if on a traditional sporting style stock. The one thing I would ensure is that you can see OVER the rib, not just along it. It prevents all sorts of problems in the long run. Starting off from nothing, if you can comfortably shoulder it and keep your head down its not too long, make sure your over the rib and pretty central. Thats as detailed as you need to get at this stage.

Someone trying to get cash out of you might spend ages farting around but it will be a waste of cash as in 6 months time the way you stand and address the target will have altered dramatically.

Before any comment can be made about the gun, ensure that the shooter is standing correctly, that the gun is in the correct part of the shoulder pocket and that the neck is not doing anything weird. Only then can you start to critique the gun itself. Hence it is hard to give reliable advice blind, in writing.

Clearly, if all else is well, then the comb is too low. Get a different gun or fit a comb raiser, or adjustable stock preferably.

Cheers

Csc3

Csc3 what is the correct part of the shoulder socket, as mine want to keep going towards the top of my bicep muscle

It is classic for a newbie to either have the gun on the bicep ( as I did when i started) or to have it in the shoulder pocket, but with the heel of the butt sticking up, visible from behind. (I progressed to this after a while)..

The problem is that the shoulder 'pocket' does not exist if you stand wrongly. It is created by the right stance of the body and the shoulder, creating a pocket, just inside the arm and below the clavicle.

CSC3

Csc3 what is the correct part of the shoulder socket, as mine want to keep going towards the top of my bicep muscle
If you are right handed, bring your right hand up and put on your left shoulder.

If you feel into where your shoulder joins your chest on the right side, and repeat the arm movement, you will feel the pocket form.

However...it isn't always obvious on some people. As with everything, it is a guide.

You don't want to mount in on your upper arm though, that is certain.

What sort of build are you? I assume you are male!

Mounting on the bicep is either, being too "side on" to the target or the stock is too long.

Bruising on the inside of the upper arm, after shooting is also a sign of extra length.

All, I should just say that I am not a professional instructor or gun fitter, but I'm pretty sure I can get a newbie on the right tracks (and have with mates and others).

The best way to describe the right stance, roughly, is to assume the pose of a boxer about to throw a punch, but it's hard to describe exactly.

It is just below the end of your collar bone, place your fingertips just above your armpit with your arm as if you were sat at a dining table, ie at right angles with your upper arm by your side, now move your upper arm outwards to the side and your fingertips should feel a small hollow opening up. If right handed, your upper arm should be about 45* to your side. hope this helps.

too late again,

I know if i don't mount well my broken collar bone lump gets a bruising.

there a few vids on gun mount with Mike Yardley on the net

chiefy

Five pages, and I'm screaming, " Go and get a lesson with a good coach".

Harley anyone who has been with you and watched you mounting the gun on your bicep needs, (A) a good talking to , and ( B) a good slapping.

Cross your arms over your chest and put your fingers on the opposite shoulder, then with your thumbs you can feel the depression between your shoulder and your neck.

That is your shoulder pocket and that is where your gun should be mounted.

im so greatful for this help because when i went out last week for my first time i borrowed a mates gun, it slammed the s##t out of my muscle, and i was in agaony at one point (big smile) it was quite an intense 70 shot club shoot, but it was amazing and aside the wrecked muscle im totally hooked.

im only short 5ft 8" im an ex body builder gone fat, so although im overweight i have still got large pecks and and short arms

i will try any and take on board as much advice, as im going out again this weekend and dont really want another blue and green bicep :)

An experienced shot can shoot hundreds without knowing it the next day.

As Salopian says, get instruction ASAP. It will put you on the right track.

CSC3

Harley, your Pectors could be a big issue for you because that is exactly where you want to be mounting the gun, but sadly for guys of your build it can be problematic, soldier on mate but keep off the bicep.

Latest posts

Back