Reasons for missing

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben I agree. Please see the post above. All the top shooters use ALL the methods on SC, of course they do. If a target beats them, they must use another method to adjust. But to adjust, they must know the lead. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Just as your advice never go on a skeet field is ridiculous. The top SC shooter in the World doesn't agree with you on that and his advice is good enough for me. So, rather than get involved in the inevitable confrontation, I would think this thread is now well and truly down the pan.
If u watered latest interview he
And while I was writing the reply I received an e mail from the NSSA-NSCA written by Paul Giambrone 111 one of THE best in the World and a check list plan of action for a successful shot:-
1. Visualize your sight picture.
2. Once you call for your target match gun speed with target speed to build in maintained lead.

And before you come back with ahha! That's skeet, I shoot SC it's different. Moving targets are moving targets, doesn't matter if it is a skeet, trap, SC or a driven pheasant. If you don't know the lead, you will miss. Strange that some coaches avoid mentioning it, isn't it?
now your showing a complete lack of knowledge for the game.

Of course maintained is best for skeet it’s a picture game. Learn on one range u learned on all. Distance speed and angle is mandatory

Sporting is a whole new animal u have to work it out and the best way of doing that is connecting the gun and clay.

New machines now roll over to new unprecedented angles. We have bigger springs and motors and slower springs

It’s an easy fix the top 25 in the world disagree with you they hit them and you miss them we all have numerous titles you have none.

And that last paragraph should tell people all they need to know about a book sale.

This isn’t a personal attack I have nothing against you as I don’t know you. What I do know is the ins and outs of shooting and that’s what I’m questioning not you as a individual just the rubbish your spouting

Ben. I install hundreds of machines every year, please take look at the course design section of my web. site. Regardless of the type of machine it comes from, every target on a SC course (the area you intend to shoot it) is either rising or falling,it is either a narrow angle, intermediate angle, wide angle or full crossing or a "box" shot. Because of that, the shooter can apply a logical way to intercept it. That's why the book work.

Ben. No, I said I don't do any more lessons, (except for a few select clients) but I still do SC design consultation work, (we installed hundreds of machines last year) and I also sell plans for high towers. Last set went to Kiyev in the Ukraine. www.claytargettowers.com So for someone with a "lack of knowledge" I think that's pretty good?

Last edited:
I said I don't do any more lessons, (except for a few select clients) but I still do SC consultation work and I also sell plans for high towers. Last set went to Kiyev in the Ukraine. www.claytargettowers.com So for someone with lack of knowledge, I think that's pretty
I’m just building ranges in Saudi, Oman, Dubai and USA. Normally your peddling may work but on here people have seen through it and I have the pedigree and knowledge to add weight to their claims.

I reiterate this isn’t a personal attack. And deep down you may believe in what u say that’s a different story. But I can tell you it won’t take anyone anywhere near the top of their game or find another top shooter agree with u

Played golf then moved to hockey - was quite good at both.

I would certainly find golf much easier than trying to extract a decent answer from you.

Do you want me to suggest some sports for you to take up or perhaps something else for you to do with your spare time ?

Ben. That's great, I'm really pleased for you. And you will see from my web. site that I was doing exactly the same, 10 years ago.....15 years ago. What a coincidence......... especially for some one who is out of touch.
Yup I started 26 years ago in Miami then Houston.

All I can say is off the forums no one heard of you. And the top shots that have just say nice guy knows nothing about shooting

Last time u treated this like an airport and announced your departure let’s at least stick by one thing u say and stay departed.

Last edited:
BTW, my primary reason for missing, especially if I haven't been shooting regularly, is anticipating recoil and pushing the muzzle down. I suspect a whole lot of people miss for the same reason, whether they want to admit it or not.

As a complete beginner I’ll say this. I haven’t enough knowledge and experience to know who’s right, who’s wrong, or even everything that’s being discussed.

But as an adult, I know one thing…none of you come out of this looking good.

PeeJay Of course and I agree 100%. I always answer questions on here to the best of my ability, based on many years of coaching experience, especially questions from a beginner like yourself.

But (as I replied in my answer to Dave 3 post #83) there is no such thing as a dumb question (especially from a beginner), only a dumb answer. Some of the answers supplied on here conflict directly with what some of the best coaches, top shooters and gun-fitters in the World suggest. However, if you would prefer me not to respond to those confusing answers, so be it.

Last edited:
There’s only one reason you miss , it’s because you put the shot in the wrong place, it doesn’t need 7 pages of bull to work that out… For the sake of everyone’s sanity please close this thread down

There’s only one reason you miss , it’s because you put the shot in the wrong place, it doesn’t need 7 pages of bull to work that out… For the sake of everyone’s sanity please close this thread down

With respect Jonz, that’s not the reason that’s a definition and it’s taken 7 pages to realize we weren't going to get past that. There was a bit of bull along the way. The thread should be left open so any who whats to, can give it a sniff, and decide for themselves where it was coming from.

The thread included some reasons,

Oldblaster said – “In my experience if you gun fits and the correct choke, the main reason for missing long targets is taking your eye off the target, and looking at the end of the barrel to check your lead, and of course you will miss behind”.

FESkent said – “rushing possibly wrong hold, start point, others due to wrong line or break in concentration. I start gun down and i know that costs me a few clays every time I go

VMax191 said, “To get back on track the main reason I miss is A, i stop the gun subconsciously

The Yank said, “my primary reason for missing, especially if I haven't been shooting regularly, is anticipating recoil and pushing the muzzle down

As far as I can tell none of them are concerned specifically with lead. We didn’t discuss any of them much at all let alone in a constructive way.

Totally agree & a really good point. They worry me too. Not saying it s a solution but I've started doing two things,

1. Watch the first one break - seems to stop gun movement to the second too early and it's funny how telling yourself you are going to watch it break helps it do so !!
2. Practice shooting some clays late - not in the ideal position but it's giving me practice so that I worry less about shooting the second late. In some cases I'm almost trying (in practise) as late as possible. It's also funny how when you say you'll try something (and the outcome doesn't matter so much) the reduction in pressure helps.

Freddypip But ALL those mistakes you mention ultimately have exactly the same outcome:- you don't put the shot in the right place exactly as jonz said.

BTW another book order this morning! I knew you'd be pleased. Perhaps shooters are realizing that a Reading Targets e book at 8 GBP makes a lot more sense that lots of expensive lessons?

Totally agree & a really good point. They worry me too. Not saying it s a solution but I've started doing two things,

1. Watch the first one break - seems to stop gun movement to the second too early and it's funny how telling yourself you are going to watch it break helps it do so !!
2. Practice shooting some clays late - not in the ideal position but it's giving me practice so that I worry less about shooting the second late. In some cases I'm almost trying (in practise) as late as possible. It's also funny how when you say you'll try something (and the outcome doesn't matter so much) the reduction in pressure helps.
Mental strength is also a important point. Forget one mistake, don't get angry, focus on the next target.
Losing always some birds because of that in a competition.
But it is not easy to fix that for me.

Latest posts

Back