Reasons for missing

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm practicing a single target, then generally I'll only load one cartridge. Go in with a plan on how you're going to shoot the target. Foot position, visual pick up point, kill point and hold point. Get the method right, then get the lead right. If you load 2, and miss with the first, it will result in a second shot that is unplanned. Although you may hit it, you made it up on the spot. Not what we're intending.

When you can repeatedly targets where you want to, then change it up. Different methods and different kill points. Just because I like a certain kill point, a course setter can force me to shoot somewhere else if it's a simultaneous pair. One of the shots I spent time practicing was shooting a target on the drop. Saved me from a zero on the card on quite a few occurrences.

When you start practicing on report doubles remember your plan for both targets. How quickly do you need to get from kill point A to hold point B? A sloppy transition can result in your plan for the B bird going down the pan rather quickly.

Last edited:
If I'm practicing a single target, then generally I'll only load one cartridge. Go in with a plan on how you're going to shoot the target. Foot position, visual pick up point, kill point and hold point. Get the method right, then get the lead right. If you load 2, and miss with the first, it will result in a second shot that is unplanned. Although you may hit it, you made it up on the spot. Not what we're intending.

When you can repeatedly targets where you want to, then change it up. Different methods and different kill points. Just because I like a certain kill point, a course setter can force me to shoot somewhere else if it's a simultaneous pair. One of the shots I spent time practicing was/is, shooting a target on the drop. Saved me from a zero on the card on quite a few occurrences.

When you start practicing on report doubles remember your plan for both targets. How quickly do you need to get from kill point A to hold point B? A sloppy transition can result in your plan for the B bird going down the pan rather quickly.

I agree with this 100%. I appreciate you might not take the 2nd shot but the cartridge is there so it might tempt you to think differently.

Also, great advice regarding methods and kill points. Once you are shooting competitions, the course setters know how to mess you up - they will predict the easy option and make it harder for you and sometimes they will manage that without you realising whats going on (and then wrong). Practice for the unexpected.

Strange how one of the very first things that the Olympic skeet coaches and all the TOP SC shooters advize is "visualize the lead you need" isn't it?

Freddypip. When you "change it up", do you have a logical way to do that or is it guesswork for a few shots until you figure it out?

Last edited:
Strange how one of the very first things that the Olympic skeet coaches and all the TOP SC shooters advize is "visualize the lead you need" isn't it?

Freddypip. When you "change it up", do you have a logical way to do that or is it guesswork for a few shots until you figure it out?

But the visualized lead is a very subjective impression. Mathematically the needed lead on a skeet field is the same at every station.
Only at station 4 this distance might correlate with this subjective impression.
When shooting olympic skeet (trying to...) my needed (subjective) amount of lead is increaasing when my movement is not good.
If i´m moving well, perfect hold point, viewpoint, moving the gun perfectly to mount while rotating i can hit it right in front.
Lost some birds because i forgot to pull the trigger fast enough as i was astonished to be already that far in front of the bird.
Olympic skeet is a very fast, special discipline where maintained lead (and producing the perfect amount of it while moving) is necessary because of the speed. And in my opinion maintained lead is just useful for this discipline or maybe very few similar birds which can be trained regularly. Coming from behind the bird is a too slow method and you will loose the second bird at the doubles.

Trying to check your lead by guessing distances is almost impossible. You have to adjust it by your speed of movement.
You can do that in slower skeet disciplines but not olympic. Good shooters pull the trigger when the gun mount
is finished. ASt this point the have already reached their perfect amount of lead.

Interesting lecture is "step by step to success" written by Tonino Blasi, former head coach of the Italian national team:

https://issuu.com/gp.ennio/docs/step_by_step

Chapter 4 and 5 for the topic "lead". especially the first column of chapter 5

Bavarian. I agree. I knew Tonino, very nice guy. The important thing is what the target is doing relative to your shooting position in the area you intend to shoot it. On a skeet field, try this from #4.

Full crossing shot @ 20 yards:- Lead 4 units
Further along the trajectory, now a WIDE ANGLE shot:- Lead 3 units, 1/2 inch under.
Further still along the trajectory, now an INTERMEDIATE ANGLE shot:- Lead 2 units, 3/4 inch under.
Further along the trajectory, (now about 40 yards) a NARROW ANGLE shot:- Lead 1 unit, 1 inch under.

That's Skeet, I shoot SC , it's different.........??????

"Wish I had found this book years ago."

Last edited:
Bavarian. One shooter that always me impressed me was Luigi Lodde.

Also, there was another Italian guy that posted occasionally on forums in the US years ago under the name of Pock65. Not seen him post for some time but please see if you can track him down and ask him what he thinks of my books?

No, of course not. But the reason I made the books available as e books not only in the UK but Worldwide was because of requests from shooters mainly in the UK because the hard copies and shipping costs were too expensive these days. No other reason. But as usual, nobody believes that, I get repeatedly accused by some of peddling lies and trying to sell a book that is only useful as a door stop. For 8 GBP a pop? Really?

I started this thread because the main reason most shooters say they miss is because because they don't know the lead requirement. That's why the Italian skeet shooters have the leads shown on a wall as shown in Tonio Blasis book.

So, I tried to give you an example of something to try for SC on a skeet field to prove that the system works. But rather than do what I suggested, try it and get back to me on here, you gleefully twisted it round into the same old:- "Oh, he only want's to sell his books". Bravo!!

Last edited:
if it’s not about selling your book then why not just put it online for all to read for free? As Tonino Blasi, former head coach of the Italian national team has done with his lecture.

Last edited:
FESkent. I thought you originally said he put his BOOK online? I would be more than happy to put a lecture online because I wrote for SC mag. and other magazines for 15 years and some of the articles are on my web. site. But these days, it's doubtful that anyone would listen to what I have to say?

Why? Because the game has changed so much. A 50 yard crosser isn't any more, a springing teal is just, well it's "different" some how?

Back in my day we would throw lots of curling targets, purposely nested pairs, upside down skipping midi frog targets across ponds, edge on rabbits rolling across ponds, squirrels rolling down wooden ramps and jumping from branch to branch in the magnificent oak trees on the Earl of Annandales Estate. Staggeringly realistic grouse butts shoots (my gun store was a mile from the best grouse moor in the World) and I was manufacturing and installing 140 foot high towers (yes 140 foot) with 4 oscillating wobble traps on the top...... pictures on my web. site. And I still consult and design lots of courses. Sigh...................but these days I'm out of touch.........

Last edited:
Peter, why do you so often feel the need to poke and try to make fun of other people? It’s not helpful or constructive and then you wonder why nobody takes you seriously.

Why do you think nobody would read your articles?

We are all grownups and can make are own decisions on what may or may not improve are shooting.

So have your own agenda to help us and worry not about what others say.

FESkent Perhaps it's because if you check out my credentials, most would consider that level of experience to count for something? But no, experience these days is ridiculed..... by some. They talk big in an attempt to make others look small.

So, no I'm afraid many of you absolutely do not make your own decisions, you allow it to be swayed by others that also "poke fun" by making completely irrational statements on here.

Have your own agenda to help us? I have tried that in the past but it is always twisted back to the "He's only trying to sell his books that are only useful as a door stop" So no, anything I put on here is unfortunately ridiculed.

Did any of you try what I suggested with my note to Bavarian? No, of course not. And if you did and found that it actually worked, would you actually report back and say that on here? No of course not. Because if you did, I might sell another couple of books at a staggering 8 GBP a pop. And that wouldn't do, would it?

So, I doubt if I can help any of you guys, you already know all the answers. But I know I most can definitely help many of the others that put their faith in my years of expertise and tell me how much my very "expensive" books help. I have dozens of personal e mails saying exactly that.

And for the love of the game and the good of the game, in this very troubled World, I believe that to be a good thing.

"Do you think Pete Blakeley's books help shooters to learn to read all the variables of SC targets?"
"No, of course not!"
"Why not?"
"Because the system involves looking at the end of the gun."
"But throughout the book, doesn't Pete repeatedly say don't do that, the muzzles must remain in your peripheral vision at all times?"
" I don't know, I didn't actually read the book. Someone explained it to me. I thought that's what he told me."
"But doesn't Pete also repeatedly offer to explain anything that shooters don't understand via e mail?"
"Yeah, but he's only saying that to sell more books"
" So, what's the alternative?"
"Take lots of lessons with a coach."
"What does that cost?"
"Lots, several hundreds "
"But don't many coaches now advise seeing lead at the muzzle, just like Pete does?"
"Yes."
"I wonder why they would do that if it doesn't work? And why are the book sales increasing?"

Back