Shoot Clay Support Challenge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growl/Andy,

I ve been into my local gunshop today (Ivybridge Gunroom) they have a old hammer gun that they will donate to the Growler, but the only problem is it isn't de-comissioned.. They are going to price up the work and let me know.

What are your thoughts? Does it need to be dead? My worry was not everyone on the day has a SGC and could end up winning the trophy and not be able to keep it...
I think everyone will have at the time or in the future so sounds a shame to deactivate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Growl/Andy,

I ve been into my local gunshop today (Ivybridge Gunroom) they have a old hammer gun that they will donate to the Growler, but the only problem is it isn't de-comissioned.. They are going to price up the work and let me know.

What are your thoughts? Does it need to be dead? My worry was not everyone on the day has a SGC and could end up winning the trophy and not be able to keep it...
Hi Jimbob, sounds like a plan to me, if the work to de-commission is not too pricy, I will be happy to foot the bill, I‘m sure Growl will agree, will leave it in your hands and weight to hear from you. 

Having read the layout doc, thanks Growl.

75 Sporting

25 DTL

10 Double Trap

25 Sportrap (Compak)

45 Flush (3 Man flush, so 15 targets each)

I have only done sporting traps so looking forward to trying out the rest, I am hoping I will not be the only novice shooting and any rules will be explained on the day? 

Thanks in advance.

Honesty im not going to win anything but it will be a right laugh doing the 3 man flush Is a right scream

we have no expectations of good scores but plan to have fun and experience the different disciplines! and NO slackeruk you are not alone in your novice status!

Hi all, the scores are only a method to try and establish a level playing field so that we can see who is shooting well or not so well on the day, they need not be registered but should be the scores of your last 3 shoot's prior to the growler if possible, I am basing this on sporting as that makes up the majority of the clays on the day. As mentioned this is to be a fun day to meet up, I am just trying to sort a levelling method so everyone has a chance.
Jimbob, that sounds wonderful, I think it may be a good plan to keep the gun 'entire' and we could have the piece only available to those with a cert, if the RBS is a none cert holder they will get Andy's trophy and the gun goes to the next placed cert holder.
hope this sounds reasonable, all the best, Growl.

I believe that it normally costs between £80 and £120 to de-activate a shotgun, most of the cost is paying for the proof house test and cert.

I'll sort the gun out next week and keep it in working condition.

What's the plan with regards to displaying winners names on it for future Growlers?

I think it should be left activated. Too many good guns going to waste.

I will de-activate it FOC if that is what is required. 

It can be awarded to the winner on the day, a Brass plate engraved and attached at a later date and the gun could stay in the possession of Growl or the Disco Maniac on their ticket .

It can be awarded to the winner on the day, a Brass plate engraved and attached at a later date and the gun could stay in the possession of Growl or the Disco Maniac on their ticket .
Sounds good to me.I'll just give it a good clean up and bring it on the day then

As regards averages Maxum was/is AAA class and even though he hasn't shot clays for months you can rest assured that Oakedge will be out of clays in a week or two. Any one in Staffordshire requiring the services of a plumber should ring Oakedge in the first instance and ask for Darren.

As for me, due to illness, poverty, lack of enthusiasm and ability I should be given a 130 clay start, I MAY be able to hit 20, but don't bet on it.

After a few years it will look like Mr Stanburys gun that Doug Florrent now owns, brass ovals all over the stock :D

We would be more than happy to have the gun stored on site, maybe even on display, still activated, especially if this becomes an Annual event.

As regards averages Maxum was/is AAA class and even though he hasn't shot clays for months you can rest assured that Oakedge will be out of clays in a week or two. Any one in Staffordshire requiring the services of a plumber should ring Oakedge in the first instance and ask for Darren.

As for me, due to illness, poverty, lack of enthusiasm and ability I should be given a 130 clay start, I MAY be able to hit 20, but don't bet on it.
Hahaha you know me so well sloppy :))

Ha Love it, a great charity/social event and everyones practicing like its a world champs :D

Edit, me included!

Too right, every chance I get will be spent doing just that! It's my way of boosting the local economy.

Can I appeal to everyone to miss as many clays as possible, as I have this super vision of Phil Coley wandering around laden with pickups the following week.

Latest posts

Back