Taught to be Cautious?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you've tried the blindfold bondage thing have you Nicola?

If your father proposes you, you can join at 18, this was a new thing in the 20's as a few drinks licenses were given to lodges, before this you could join younger. After the drinks licenses were given some left their lodge for good as they did not like the idea of alcohol in the same building. Well this was the case at No 18 Dumbarton I have been reliably informed.
As far as I'm aware that 18 thing does not operate under the English Masonic Constitution. But Scotland and a few other Grand Lodges do operate it I think. :hi:

I knew someone who left because a fellow Mason expected him to blindly prefer him in a legal matter when the mason was a fault.
And that is not the first time I've heard of such a thing unfortunately Robert!

My old dad told me he used to pull the braces on his bib and brace overall when he was nodding to who he was handing out the overtime to, messed with all the heads of the paranoid nutters who thought anything they did not know was part of it.
You would be amazed at what people believe when it comes to Freemasonry mate. At the end of the day there are very few things that are actually secret. It's only words, phrases, gestures/signs and details of ceremonies. The world is full of details of what it is basically all about, anyone can buy the regalia, the books we use etc etc. Many of us "younger Freemasons" (and I'm 60), do not believe that we should hide the fact that we are Masons, there is no reason for it at all. If Masons had been more open about things in the past, we wouldn't have all the strange stories that abound today. :scout:

Oh dear Nic, are you ill?
No.... Sorry sweetie.....I just saw the humour in Darkies post :smile:

I would also like to LIKE your post above....but ran out of likes again.

For some reason I only get between 1 or 4 a day.....

It's funny what people actually believe about Freemasons though! To be blunt it is the fault of Freemasonry itself, it should be a lot more open than it is. We are allowed to answer questions about it, but we cannot divulge some words, signs or details of ceremonies. Most Masonic wives just reckon it's like the boy scouts, but with lots of beer! The wives know a hell of a lot, mainly because they help us to learn our lines at times, but they don't know the signs or words though.  :biggrin:

Thats because you hand them out like feeding Joob Joobs to an Elephant.  xD

It's funny what people actually believe about Freemasons though! To be blunt it is the fault of Freemasonry itself, it should be a lot more open than it is. We are allowed to answer questions about it, but we cannot divulge some words, signs or details of ceremonies. Most Masonic wives just reckon it's like the boy scouts, but with lots of beer! The wives know a hell of a lot, mainly because they help us to learn our lines at times, but they don't know the signs or words though.  :biggrin:
Les I hope not !

Surely you have what is known as a practise class, on say a thursday evening when you all learn the next progressive persons part in proceedings for the following year.

Les I hope not !

Surely you have what is known as a practise class, on say a thursday evening when you all learn the next progressive persons part in proceedings for the following year.
Yes we have those, but most of us get help from the wives, BUT no "words or signs" are ever mentioned. A bit like anyone can pick up a book of workings, but there are just initials etc where the secret bits are! If you are talking about learning an office for the next year, well that  NEVER has any help from the wife, it's always done at lodge of instruction. It's mainly only your lines from one degree to another that the ladies help with. My wife pestered me about things once, so I gave her the book of workings, she complained that it was full of odd letters and wot not! She never asked again!

Why the need for ' word's and sign's ' then?
So that we can recognise each other without needing to ask. But we don't always bother to be honest about it. It's all just a bit of a game really, some guys take it way too seriously of course, but I'm not one of those Bryan. :laugh:

The point I was trying to get to was , why the need to recognize each other?

Good job you were not in Spain during the war under Franco. He shot thousands of Freemasons.....true story...!

There was a great myth that they were in league with the communists and the Jews.

Good job you were not in Spain during the war under Franco. He shot thousands of Freemasons.....true story...!
There was a great myth that they were in league with the communists and the Jews.
Was it a myth !

Solis Sacerdobias.

Latest posts

Back