What chokes to use

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hardiman

Hi All,

Realised I have not been back since I signed up last year (sorry - will try harder).

I do however have a question about chokes and what ones to use.

I currently have green and yellow (no idea what that means) banded chokes in the gun.

These were what the gun came with and have not changed them.

As you can tell I am new to this, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Paul

Chokes are a very common issue and have been discussed at length a number of times even since I joined 6 months or so ago so it would help if you read those threads and asked questions after that.

Your Beretta handbook should tell what the colours on the chokes mean or someone with a DT10 will put you straight on here.

A quick internet search tells me that yellow is improved cylinder or one quarter choke and green is half choke or what is called modified in America.

Quarter should be in the bottom barrel to use first and green in the top to use second unless the first bird is farther away than the second.

Assuming you shoot ESP, FSP, SPT etc, then the ones you have will do the job nicely.  If you're a trappie, ask a trappie!  :D

Forget about choking until you can hit plenty, it's just another excuse to screw with your brain!  A few people here will disagree (mainly the engineers), but the majority will concur.  Stick to what you've got in there now, and pump catridges through the tubes!  Get a bit of coaching too, but PLEASE...don't start getting technical about carts and chokes until you know enough to ascertain whether it's the choke, the cart, or the guy pulling the trigger that's hitting/missing!

Above all, have fun!  :hi:

Thanks for the fast response.

I will have a look at the other posts but won't change them for now (shame I wanted something else to blame for the missed targets instead of me) ;)

Cheers

It largely depends on what you shoot? 1/4 and 1/2 aren't ideal for domestic trap and certainly not for skeet. Let us know what you shoot and i'm sure you'll get plenty of advice.

Assuming you shoot ESP, FSP, SPT etc, then the ones you have will do the job nicely.  If you're a trappie, ask a trappie!  :D

Forget about choking until you can hit plenty, it's just another excuse to screw with your brain!  A few people here will disagree (mainly the engineers), but the majority will concur.  Stick to what you've got in there now, and pump catridges through the tubes!  Get a bit of coaching too, but PLEASE...don't start getting technical about carts and chokes until you know enough to ascertain whether it's the choke, the cart, or the guy pulling the trigger that's hitting/missing!

Excellent advice. :hunter:

Why do people with Opti- Chokes in Beretta's not use the correct chokes?

It's Black & White, it's even black & white in the handbook.

There should only be fixed choke guns bored 3/4 & F

1/2 and 1/2 green on sporting shooting 8s but will put reds in top and bottom for skeet shooting 9s

I worry more about hitting the clay than chokes although I recently had a wobble and considered mullers, I think ill wait till im hitting most of the targets before I mess with the chokes. Im going to have a go at helice this year so I guess I may need to 3/4 and full ..............hmmmmm

I'm an Enginner and I actually agree with teepee on this!

As I am colour blind I use black and black in both barrels, just as we'll I have always shot 3/4 then, can some one check that I have coloured bands.

They all look the same in my choke box, oops sorry meant to say they all work the same when pointed in the right place.

Multichokes are a great way to waste loads of time having pointless arguments over which is the right / wrong choice. If you break targets then the chances are you have the right chokes in...simples! Besides an awful lot of people lie about what chokes they are using anyway......watch somebody chip their way round and then try keeping a straight face when they tell you they only shoot full and super full....

I refer you back to an experiment earlier in the year...gun fitted with negative 5 thou (more open than cylinder) in bottom barrel and 40 thou (super full) in the second. hand gun to experienced shot and ask them to have a go...then ask them what choke they think the gun has got in it......1/2 and 1/2???? .!

Latest posts

Back