what would be the 1st technique you would show a new shooter?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apart from the obvious which would be point at with a simple going away then a simple incomer and getting them to come from behind it's line and sweep through.

First thing is safety, and everything that involves.

Then as Hammy said.

I learned on skeet, with a very good coach.  You can practice all techniques at skeet.  :D   

What about gun mount, fit and stance, weight forward with nose over toes which leads on to picking the kill point, pick up point etc so you face correctly

i am a coach and have over the last month or so been told that sporting clays are going away from the swing through method and in to the sustained lead... now i dont agree with this, i think for newbies its got to be swing through???

Maintained leeed is just one method.  IMHO, you need all the methods at sporting.  This has been discussed at length on this forum, and it seems to be a personal preference thing.  Many very good shooters over here prefer to shoot everything maintained leeed - but then, there are more who don't!  I personally find that shooting maintained gives me too much time to think and check, then it's all over!  Gun wobbling all over the sky, stopping the gun, taking far too much time.  I prefer swing through or push away.  But then, I'm still learning!  ;)

For a beginner, I believe they need all methods in their tool box.  Then pump 1000's of carts through the gun!!  :D

What would I show to a Beginner ?

I would begin with a good stance and mount , move on to focusing on the Bird and then teach him swing through and pull away.

That should get him started in the right way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tracey - I am very much in agreement with teepee.

Most shooters will, usually through their own experience, settle on a preference for either maintained lead or swing through, simply based upon what appears to work best for them.

However I also agree, particularly with shooting Sporting / FSP, that the style of shooting will be dictated by the target being presented. I am sure there are those shooters who try to do the same thing on every target but, in practice, I feel that is unlikely and probably, even sub-consciously, their approach does differ to some extent dependant upon the target.

Just my opinion, but then again, I have spent most of my time only shooting Skeet and have only just started shooting Sporting competitively  :wacko:

For beginners, maintained lead can only be madness IMO (not sure it's great when you are in AA)

Swing through is great in principle because it puts you on line initially and makes you move the gun. But you cannot say 'swing' and not define it. The speed of the swing is a huge factor. Even more of an issue is a inconsistent speed of swing, as this will totally harm the development of the sight picture memory.

So, I think swing through is a good basis, but only if the QUALITY AND REPEATABILITY of the swing is appreciated and developed.

I actually thing that Pull away will teach a beginner much more, because I see a lot of people swing through a target and fail to stay on the line that the clay travels after swinging through. Once you commit to a swing it is unlikely that you will be able to refine your line. With Pull away, you will track the target if it is arcing / dropping slightly (most crossers arc), then pull away with more knowledge of final Flightline.

I am shooting the best I ever have now. I have shot about 10,000 clays a year since 2005. My method has developed itself into a brisk swing from behind the target, slowing and passing through it slowly and easing the lead out. It's a bit of a hybrid of swing through and pull away.

Sorry for the long answer!

Cheers.

First thing is safety, and everything that involves.

Then as Hammy said.

I learned on skeet, with a very good coach.  You can practice all techniques at skeet.  :D   

Ditto totally agree.......... 

First technique would be pull away. Swing through and maintained would be way down the list for me for some time...

Without doubt the foundation method is the Clarrie Wilson, Pull Away method. As promoted by the CPSA as their method.

This is the default shooting method that can teach you to shoot most types of target.

But I think we need to be able to shoot all of the methods efficiently because each has its uses and may dig you out of a hole at sometime.

But I do think that too much ink and time is spent on maintained lead because most people who try it invariably end up shooting a hybrid method.

Get the basics well sorted and the rest will come with experience.

But take my advice for the price that it cost you, as someone who doesn't know me recently said I know nothing. :eek:   :eek:   :eek:

Latest posts

Back