Gun Fit - How important is it really ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a wise man said to me - "get one that nearly fits, your neck bends much easier than the stock"

Long story, short version.

I went to Perazzi and had a stock made for me.

After the honeymoon with the new gun I found I couldn't hit diddly.

So I got rid.

About a year later I went to a Perazzi try day, had a gun fitted for me to try, went out shot crap, back, different stock, went out better but still poor, back, no other stock except a R/H ( I'm one of the 20% perfects, L/H) went out, brilliant.

Asked the fitter, please measure the stock dimensions, he did and wrote them down.

He also checked my gunfit and pronounced that I would find it difficult to shoot that set up.

Went home with my dimensions written down.

Checked my normal gun which I am very happy with, the dimensions were identical, not 1 millimetre difference with any dimension.

A chap I've known for years has always shot left hand cast off the right shoulder, well enough to spend a few years at AA when at his peak.

I have a "project" gun. It's a Spanish built clone of a Perazzi trap gun. The comb is high so I see much more rib than with my usual Beretta but the brain seems to be able to figure it out because I can shoot it okay. One day it broke down, so for the last 3 pairs I borrowed a Browning 325 which came up much flatter even than the Beretta. Despite that the old brain figured things okay and I straighted them. That's 3 differently fitting guns on the same day yet they all shot normal percentages for me.

I heard somewhere that more women than men need the stock fitted. Apparently women are a different shape.

Even at my c-class level - I can vouch for similar - a few weeks ago I shot the Benelli Sp'Auto course (or part there of) with a different gun & cartridge on every stand... all semi-autos which I had until that point very little experience of. Each one felt different, but my brain figured it out as well - I shot above my average.

I learnt quite a lot that day... every gun, choke and cartridge will outperform me... that day, I read the targets well and treated each bird as the first one I had shot that day.

I borrowed a DT10 sporter for a full comp round a few years ago and despite having a very different sight picture rib wise, got me a 2nd place if I recall. Many moons back I borrowed Kevin Howland's Miroku for a comp round at a county show and won me a few quid :.: :) .

A few years ago we were watching a shoot off when for some reason this chap asked to shoot my 682e instead of his own SO :cool: , and won.

I shot a straw baler a few years back with a stick of rhubarb then switched to L/H hardwood axe handle never made a bit of difference sight picture was exactly the same with both!!

A chap I've known for years has always shot left hand cast off the right shoulder, well enough to spend a few years at AA when at his peak.
Think i'd prefer a gun that fit's properly and be in AAA

Think i'd prefer a gun that fit's properly and be in AAA
You should see him shoot, completely unconventional, throws the gun up in a slash fashion but rarely missed when at his peak and even today is an easy A class. He's a mechanic by trade and rigged his own jig to cast his guns and did it to more than one so I'm sure he could have cast for RH if he wished.

so , irrespective of cast, he was using a gun that fitted him

so , irrespective of cast, he was using a gun that fitted him
One way of looking at it yes, rather the gun suited him more than it fitted him ;) but the point is had he gone to a fitter he'd have been told he needs such and such!

Look at Chris Childerhouse, a fantastic AAA shot. If he went for a have a go day, they wouldnt let him pull the trigger his gun mount is so `bad`; with the butt resting on his bicep. Im not sure he can be looking down the rib at all. You wouldnt know how to fit a gun for him.

CSC3

It's all about what's right for the individual, isn't it? I'd rather the gun was altered to suit me, than alter myself to suit it. If you can shoot well with a stick of celery or a boomerang, doesn't matter a jot as long as you can shoot.

The comments about rip-off gun fitters are amusing! If people are dumb enough to spend a fortune getting a gun tweaked, more power to the gun fitter, I say!

A good fitter, preferably recommended, will take all the variables into account - personal preferences, weight, length, style etc - and adjust and coach you into shooting better. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. But that's just me..... :D

One way of looking at it yes, rather the gun suited him more than it fitted him ;) but the point is had he gone to a fitter he'd have been told he needs such and such!
i understand what you were getting at now

I think the summary is: Gun fitting is something that cannot hurt, if it makes the gun more comfortable, better balanced (or gets rid of an ovious huge issue such as being way too low in the comb).

What is contentious is the mantra from some (in the trade) who will tell you that without a super (expensive) gun-fitting exercise; you will never get anywhere. This is amply demonstrated to be untrue.

I think gun fit, especially position of eye to rib, is more of an issue for a real Newbie, because he/she will `aim` very consciously. This was a big issue for my Mrs when she started. Once that period is over, its not a big deal.

CSC3

Look at Chris Childerhouse, a fantastic AAA shot. If he went for a have a go day, they wouldnt let him pull the trigger his gun mount is so `bad`; with the butt resting on his bicep. Im not sure he can be looking down the rib at all. You wouldnt know how to fit a gun for him.

CSC3
Was only saying this to Ed on Sunday. First time I ever saw Chris shoot, didnt know who it was in the cage at the time, I commented to Nicola "have you seen this guys gun mount, its out on his arm" proceeded to mince a simo pair of long crossers at weston :D

It is different for girls. When I was first shooting, I had no problem with crossers but really struggled with teal, driven and going away. Various instructors and lessons over 3 years made no difference. Finally had a gun fitting and lots of cast put on the stock and whadda you know - I can hit teal, driven and going away...... Most of the time. Then someone pointed out that the stock was sticking up over my shoulder, half on half off. This meant it could pivot a bit so my mount was inconsistent. So got a montecarlo put on it. For those that don't know, the end of the stock drops down an inch or too and sits better in my shoulder. Consistent mount meant better scores.

Some people can hit almost anything with any gun. Most of us are better off with a gun that's fits us.

Gnasher

Interesting post

Has anyone ever ordered a gun, price doesn't matter 1000 dollars or 10,000 dollars and had had it shipped to the house without even trying it.

Would I be insane to order a 10,000 dollar Parazzi without even mounting the gun, or would my brain do all the adjustments for me.

I'm betting I could, and I would shoot just as well as having Parazzi custom fit one to me at a large cost I imagine

Just throwing this out there, trust me everyone on this forum knows more about guns than I do

Joe

Latest posts

Back