Gun reviews on youtube

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son often tells me off for taking long range shots, or what some folk term "extreme".

I think if you don't even try  there's not even a remote possibility of a hit.

My son often tells me off for taking long range shots, or what some folk term "extreme".

I think if you don't even try  there's not even a remote possibility of a hit.
100%
I cannot agree more. 
I shoot for the challenge, not for the glory.

Best used to check the 60 yard plus crossers that everyone claims they shoot.
I think the only times I have ever used it on clay grounds is to prove to someone that the trap they claim is 80 yards away is in fact, not. This bag lives in my boot 90% of the time and therefore has a bit of a mishmash of gear. I am very much in the "be prepared" camp

Best used to check the 60 yard plus crossers that everyone claims they shoot.
Is 60 yards 'long range'? The Fennes (Braintree) have an 85 yard Battue type (it varies) for practice. It's on the card in the cage telling you the range (well used to be) 

Nah it's only 40yrds, we men have always been crap at determining length

I think the only times I have ever used it on clay grounds is to prove to someone that the trap they claim is 80 yards away is in fact, not. This bag lives in my boot 90% of the time and therefore has a bit of a mishmash of gear. I am very much in the "be prepared" camp
The only 'bit' missing is a 3 piece lightweight rod and brush. I know about the 'pull through', but try shoving a wad out with it. Although I carry a rod in the bottom of my bag, I have never needed it, BUT 3 other shooters have been grateful to use it. Can save a long walk back to the car park  !

This bag lives in my boot 90% of the time and therefore has a bit of a mishmash of gear. I am very much in the "be prepared" camp
I know what you mean, mines the same, after watching your vid I tipped mine out. Its surprising the amount of stuff you accumulate and double up on. I've now lots of spare cloths for wiping down. A box of disposable earplugs, enough first aid kit to stock a shop, 2 boxes of glasses wipes, spare glasses, spare sunglasses, Allen keys, worn out wire brushes, spare trigger, chokes for guns I don't own anymore dog lead, pooh bags and I've finally repaired my shooting vest.

I recently purchased the CENS DX1 on the strength of your review Lloyd.

It didn’t get off to a great start customer service wise (direct from CENS website) but back on track now I hope. Probably a month or so before I get them. Hopefully all will go well. 

Looking forward to the Pilla review. I’ve held off on Pilla until such times my shooting warrants the expense and not before I see Ed Lyons.

Regarding CENS I have two issues with them.

1. My own experience (and looking on the web a few others) is that their customer service is not good. The skeptic in me is that they have a high % of profit from repairs.

2. The battery life. They use (as far as I am aware) hearing aid batteries which are designed for constant use over a short period (a week or two). The batteries are activated by air (when the backing is removed) and they discharge into air. They will discharge between shoots whether used or not even if removed from the CENS module. I often found they were OK when on switched only to fail 30 minutes later which did not work for me. If you shoot regularly then I expect they work well. The new ones maybe better but I understand the battery tech is the same which to me is a problem. For those bothered about reading up I found the following quite helpful - https://www.healthyhearing.com/help/hearing-aids/batteries

The battery issue is likely to affect all types of hearing protection that use those type of batteries so it will not be a CENS issue.

@Freddypip I was aware of the customer service issues prior to purchasing and was actually intent on buying Vario. I’m told by a reliable source who has used both CENS without personal issue and Vario. He condemned CENS on customer service as a retailer also on sound quality poorer than Vario pre DX.

However, the retailer did say that CENS were more comfortable to wear from his personal experience.

Having had some uncomfortable passives from Emtec him which the filter dropped out after a year, I was about to buy Vario. On hearing Lloyd’s review of the sound quality of the DX and given the comments on comfort front he retailer I decided to go with CENS fully expecting to have to deal with poor service, which this far hasn’t done anything to dispel my concerns. However, I’ve dealt with a lot of poor customer service and am quietly confident that the “one month” lead time may well turn into three, I will get what I’m paying for.

As for battery life, that’s really down to poor design decisions in my opinion, perhaps based on entirely different user experiences not being fully considered, but I can live with it.

As for repairs, outside the warranty period, it is what it is.  CFG May be more robust in their design, but if they don’t fit the ear after say 2-3 years typically, then you don’t really need the electronics to be so robust as they’ll get replaced at a fair old cost.

if the CENS or Vario product could be made to last say 3-4 years, they wind up cheaper with a new ear mould.

So for me, I’m seeing this as a 2 year cost minimum and hopefully will get more out of it.

At the end of that period, I may switch allegiance. I may even elect to make my own as it’s not beyond my capabilities.

Had a pair on emtecs for years and they were very comfortable, next Varios which were terrible, actually hurt ater about 20mins, went to CFG and very comfortable indeed all passives by the way

Don't know if it's down to who takes the ear impressions in the first place or who makes the actual plugs

I thought there was also a yearly service charge with the Cens digital, or has that changed now

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, I have started a new Youtube channel for gun reviews and I thought I would share it with you all on here:

Gun Shorts

Please swing by and subscribe if you enjoy.

I have reviewed the Browning B725(2) this week and hope to have more exciting stuff in the coming weeks, with regular updates on new guns and hopefully a mix of old and new, high end and budget. 

Thanks for reading :)
don't worry about "erm "    its better than c**t       

Had a pair on emtecs for years and they were very comfortable, next Varios which were terrible, actually hurt ater about 20mins, went to CFG and very comfortable indeed all passives by the way

Don't know if it's down to who takes the ear impressions in the first place or who makes the actual plugs

I thought there was also a yearly service charge with the Cens digital, or has that changed now
I can’t be certain, but I’d hazard a guess the comfort issue is two fold. 

First, the person/s  who make the plugs, and secondly the material hardness. I’m told that CENS use a softer silicone than Vario.

CFG actually quote the shore hardness of the materials the use for the plugs.

From the impressions, I’d say it would be difficult to not get a better seal and better comfort as the shape is directly taken from the ear.

I suppose analogous to the theory that a race car seat, despite being hard to the touch, is comfortable by virtue of its precision fit eliminating pressure points (ignoring the violent shaking about from bumps on the track)   

As for “service” (not sure if this is a requirement, but unconcerned if it is) of solid state electronics, I’d imagine that this would be a good clean, inspection of solder joints (one would hope) cleaning of battery contacts and a new battery would be about all you could do for the inevitable high price. 

I guess there will always be an amount of unsatisfied customers. It can sometimes appear that a manufacturer has more complaints than most, but this has to be weighed against the number of customers who have purchased. CENS do at least at face value have a lot of complaints levied against them. 

When I raised the issue of my CENS order not being processed properly and this delayed by a week, the matter was felt with swiftly and politely.  It remains to be seen if this continues to be the case. 

This thread is mainly for Lloyds reviews so I can say more if need be but on a separate thread ?.

I have 3 sets of plugs - all passive. the original Puretone were hard, the CENS soft and the CFG (which i got three months ago when my daughter got hers) midway between the two. Personally the CFG are the best plugs but the CENS were done by a audiologist so my (poor in the left ear) hearing was tested at the same time.

My Vario impressions was also done by a audiologist, so looks like the comfort issue for me is the matrial hardness of the Vario plugs, but they also seem to go down the ear canal a lot further than the other two pairs I've had

Latest posts

Back