How flat is a 28g 7.5 cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first doesn't really advocate the hose effect, he's saying something different just easily misunderstood.

In the second, that shot string thing is just silly. There certainly can be things that effect the string, and then there is marketing.......

just because you think it doesn't make it real

just because you believe it doesn't make it true
Quite so! I have seen a film, shot at Fort Benning in the USA, I believe it is the US Army marksmanship cente. It clearly shows the shot string effect, nothing like a hose pipe though! It clearly showed that barrel constriction,cartridge speed and barrel movement had a marked effect on shot patterm, deformation and string. OK there are some that may not believe it, however a great many experienced coaches , shooters and scientists do believe it and have scientifically proved it. I don't really know where marketing would come into it though, I've never seen anyone use that angle as far as I can remember. If I can find a link to the US Army film about it I will send you a link, it's very interesting, BUT a hosepipe it is not ! :wink:

I don’t use a recoil reducer at the moment, and i can seem to tell the difference between 28g and 24g shell, in fact i noticed the difference between the 28g firsts and 28g Fblacks last week.

the negative for me at the moment is the more punchier the shell is, the harder it seems for me to get on to the second shot of a simultaneous pair, so although punchy i was told is better, it don’t help me at the moment..

Well there's been quite a bit of thread drift but I think it's fair to say that shot fall is not something to be concerned about with normal sporting targets.

But......one thing you will need to allow for is loss of shot velocity. What this means in practice is that if the leeeed for a 25yd crosser is say 3', you can't assume that the very same target shot from 50yds would need 6'. The actual leeeed required would be more like 7or 8' because those pesky little pellets have been losing velocity ever since they left the muzzle.

I don’t use a recoil reducer at the moment, and i can seem to tell the difference between 28g and 24g shell, in fact i noticed the difference between the 28g firsts and 28g Fblacks last week.

the negative for me at the moment is the more punchier the shell is, the harder it seems for me to get on to the second shot of a simultaneous pair, so although punchy i was told is better, it don’t help me at the moment..
As you will know from reading Chris Bathas book...shot velocity only makes inches of differences with regards to "forward allowance". FBlacks are a faster cartridge, designed to hit harder. Obviously, this is different to the difference between a 24g and 28g cartridge...the 28g feels harder, because you are shoving a heavier load out the end of the gun, which pushes back harder and you also need more oomph to send it out at the same velocity, so that equals more kick too. What you want, is a 24 or 28g cart, with decent hard shot. You can make up for softer shot, by sending it faster, which is what the cheaper cartridges will do. An expensive, High Brass cartridge, may be softer than the cheaper version, because it uses a slower burning powder, which are more expensive...but achieves good consistent velocities, with hard shot and a smoother/lower recoil.

Last edited by a moderator:
" It clearly showed that barrel constriction,cartridge speed and barrel movement had a marked effect on shot patterm, deformation and string"

barrel constriction - obviously

cartridge speed - absolutely

barrel movement - oooh, puhleeze

Off to hose some targets. Y'all have a great day!

Charlie

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=egBdRMiW0ag

Well that's proof, if ever there was doubters..

Just for fun I put a clay at 90 yards on the ground and fired at it with 7 1/2's eley olympics with about 1/4 chokes, I couldnt get breaks untill about 70 yards, maybe with a tighter choke it may enhance pattern density, or it could be just my bad shooting

Just for fun I put a clay at 90 yards on the ground and fired at it with 7 1/2's eley olympics with about 1/4 chokes, I couldnt get breaks untill about 70 yards, maybe with a tighter choke it may enhance pattern density, or it could be just my bad shooting
I would be amazed if that was a true 70 yards probably much closer, a few years ago 3 of us shot at static face on clays with very tight chokes and couldn't break them past 50 or so yards. On closer inspection you could see marks on them but still intact. There is definitely truth about the spin helping the clay to rip itself apart. In fact I'm convinced many convincing breaks through lightly choked guns are due to this very phenomenon. One or two strikes and the thing self destructs due to the spin.

I would be amazed if that was a true 70 yards probably much closer, a few years ago 3 of us shot at static face on clays with very tight chokes and couldn't break them past 50 or so yards. On closer inspection you could see marks on them but still intact. There is definitely truth about the spin helping the clay to rip itself apart. In fact I'm convinced many convincing breaks through lightly choked guns are due to this very phenomenon. One or two strikes and the thing self destructs due to the spin.
Zeiss victory rangefinder said it was 70 yards.

It took around 3 shots to break the clay at 70 yards, and I was unsucessful at breaking the 90 yard one a few hits on it but they didnt seem to carry enough energy.

I agree about the spin helping to break the clay.

When I have time I must pattern the gun on sheets of cardboard out past 50 yards going back 10 yards to 100 yards and observe the results. It would be interesting to see the pattern. Good discussion

I have to admit we didn't laser the range but it was defo way shorter than we'd happily blast them out the sky. :D

Still can't believe people think you can influence the shot leaving the barrel at 800 MPH enclosed in a plastic cup!

Still can't believe people think you can influence the shot leaving the barrel at 800 MPH enclosed in a plastic cup!
Absolutely, especially as its more like 1100 mph at muzzle. (Soon slows up after that..) in a rough calculation, I reckon the time it takes from the first pellets leaving the muzzle to the last is 0.00004 of a second. That is the time you have to move the barrel sideways to create the spray effect. Doddle.

I believe it can be done with at least a 20ft barrel...... Ed, over to you to try it :.: :.:

They actually rigged a handgun in Mythbusters in a device which swipe-fired at well over human speed and.............nothing happened.

Yea I found and posted it above, simple test shows no difference in spread.

Sent from my iFone using Tapatalk

Nice and easy visual test :) , the real point though is that even if it were possible to influence the shot string in any meaningful way, it sure wouldn't be desirable as it would simply rob you of density.

Latest posts

Back