The future of ABT

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just that sporting is different from ground to ground and week to week as opposed to the replication of trap targets within given settings.

I don't want to shoot straight through like DTL, Skeet and ESP shooters do so they can clear off to another shoot. I'm quite happy to referee and quite frankly having seen, unfortunately at first hand, the 'qualified' referees I'd rather stick to shooters doing it.

Just that sporting is different from ground to ground and week to week as opposed to the replication of trap targets within given settings.
That's what keeps sporting interesting,is the fact they change from place to place,the challenge is building all those multitude of site pictures and different styles over time and then the result is when or if you can use the right picture and style on the right target and you are good enough to read what is needed given the course setter will try and make targets hard to read.In fixed disapline shooting the better you get the more boring it gets ie you are repeating the same style mount eye hold etc over and over again.

What we like about trap, I think, is what sporting shooters dont like about it. What sporting shooters like about sporting is what we don't like about sporting. I think? Each to his own I guess Ian! Pmsl!

I have been shooting a lot of DTL lately as a friend has opened his own layouts. I have found myself asking about hold points and gun mount!!!! Back to the sporting this weekend Its ok "I'm cured now":eek:;)B)

It's good that we all like different things

Viva la difference

Or summat.

It's good that we all like different things

Viva la difference

Or summat.

Mind you Ian, in all honesty I really do fear for the future of trap shooting in this country!  In fact the future for any sort of shooting  does not look bright at all. We've been shooting since the 80's, this anti thing has been around since before we started I guess, but it has not decreased one bit!  :fie:

To be fair Les France probably has between 5 and ten times as many regular trap shooters than the UK, there is very little anti shooting that I can detect, it is much cheaper to shoot down here... and yet I think it would be fair to say that the UK produces better results at international competition level including a  gold at the last Olympics so I would not be too down on the future something is going OK. British shooters need to take shooting into their own hands and out of the hands of profit seeking shooting grounds... IMO.  If this could be achieved and married into an national trap shooting coaching scheme then I think the future could be good for trap in the UK. By the way this is not a dig at shooting ground owners who are trying to offer a service.

The sorta bad news is that the trap/sporting ratio is trending the same way here.  My take on it is that ATA trap is so dull that even the ridiculous price differential to step to sporting does not deter people who enjoy shooting.  Official ATA comps are most def on the slide and strangely enough there is at the same time a growing interest in OT with a number of new facilities available.  Go figure

For me, the price dif to sporting is simply beyond justifying and I don't do it.  Trap and skeet stuff are just for keeping how to shoot the gun in mind and recently I've been taken by ZZs.  The ZZs are the first comps I've shot in way many years and are not really what you'd call formal shoots as around here they are mostly for the purses and not fame hahaha.  And old and beat up as I am, they are just way fun to blast away at without worrying about perfection and, well, ATA personality types to be honest.

I'm sure there are dif reasons for the situation in GB compared to here and no doubt the solutions are dif as well.  I suspect that rational, challenging, publicly promoted shooting games would be a start and it doesn't seem likely that such a thing is gonna happen anywhere.  So man-up and take the hit.  It prolly ain't gonna get any better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had numerous people say they would shoot if they didnt have to ref, I would rather ref than have someone who doesnt really care about if its correct or not doing it.

Its like saying I will drive as long as I dont have to get out and fuel up etc, if they really want to play the game they will ref. reffing at shoots in Italy livens you up, especially when you cant fluently speak the lingo, but its ref or lose targets.

On the subject of shooting straight through, no definitley not, it doesnt give you time to sort yourself out between lines, at least an hour if possible to regain composure and rest the eyes.

But I'm old school, should be collar and tie as well not track suits..... :sarcastic:
As you say old school. We don't mind BUT the point is that it puts people off coming into trap. Maybe as a compromise grounds holding abt comps should provide a ref and each previous squad provide two side refs that would imo help.

Remember were talking abt here not ot.

Ian what is the problem with reffing a round of ABT, UT or OT ? It to me at least smacks of " oh can't someone else do it?" It is a it like where I used to shoot game in a small syndicate you either stood and shot or were beating for your mates who were shooting... nobody liked beating but it had to be done and done well, anybody shirking was politely asked to leave the syndicate. What I will say as a caveat is that down here if you don't ref you don't shoot BUT a ground owner is not making a profit on you shooting the comp in the first place so to be fair there is another difference and perhaps people do feel justified in not wanting to do it.

The whole point is that many people will not shoot abt because they have to ref. The op asked what could be done. This is imo the answer. The argument of that's how it is you have to ref is of no consequence people don't want to. End of. Plus remember this is abt a step up from dtl not an ot or ut shoot for the big boys. Once folk get used to shootong abt they will be more comfortable with the script and then not mind reffing.

I think you're wrong there Ian. The dumb downers will say 'we don't have to ref at ABT now so why should we do it at UT or OT'. The discipline is as it is, the meddlers have already interfered once and cocked it up. I'd rather they go and play with the traffic instead.

I guarantee the price of shooting will go up if 'official' refs are employed as sure as eggs is eggs the additional cost won't be swallowed by ground owners it'll be passed straight onto the consumer, us shooters.

With respect they manage to employ refs at dtl at no extra cost ?

At sporting there may be 10-15 refs if there not in a squad  is there much difference in cost @100 sporting as to 100 trap

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly there really is no justifiable argument about the cost or logistics of a ground providing a ref. Balltrap will remember our days of shooting regular abt at Westhoughton with refs provided we paid no more and there was never any problems re the quality of the refereeing?

Ps

Still No Input From The Op which I find both odd and somewhat disappointing

Ha, i miss that hooter when you missed L.O.L. made you not want to miss ( if you know what i mean )

Latest posts

Back